Participants in my session on (Re)Writing History: Scoring GED® Social Studies Test Extended Response asked this great question:
In addition to published textbooks, where can I find quality non-fiction stimulus text and visuals as the basis for lesson plans and assignments?
For their (and your!) future reference, here is the list we generated:
- Both sides of many many issues: ProCon.org
- Language Arts: ReadWriteThink
- Social Studies and Language Arts: Edsitement
- Historical documents: Independence Hall Association
- Historical documents and lesson plans: Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Social Studies: National Geographic Education
- Social Studies: Smithsonian’s History Explorer
- Science: Science NetLinks
- Health information: WebMD News Articles
- Math: Illuminations
- Questions about almost anything: Wonderopolis
Many newspapers also have lesson plans available for their content subscribers. This can engage adult learners while supporting journalism in our communities.
Newspapers to subscribe to for lesson plans/activities:
Do you have additional resources to add to this list?